A historical background
It was around 1802 to 1804 that James (John) Ditto came around the great bend of the Tennessee River and saw the point of Chickasaw Island (now referred to as Hobbs Island). He landed among friendly Chickasaw Indians in the area now referred to as Ditto Landing.
John Ditto established a trading post in 1805 and a Ferry Crossing in 1807, the same ferry that took Andrew Jackson and Davey Crocket across the TN River on their way to the Creek Indian War.
In approximately 1824 this area became know as Whitesburg, named after James White, a salt trader. Ditto Landing became one of the first Inland ports for the United States, a hub of trade and economic activity for the Huntsville area into the 1840s.